Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hyperfusion after surgery

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20079151?dopt=Abstract

"CONCLUSIONS: STA-MCA anastomosis improves the cerebral blood supply significantly in the early stage after surgery, however, the risk of symptomatic hyperperfusion may exist, which may possibly occur on the 1st day and 5th day after surgery. A LDF is useful for postoperative monitoring for both the efficacy of bypass and possible risk of neurologic deterioration or bleeding from hyperperfusion."

Ok, lets restate this a bit in plain ENGLISH for those of us who are not doctors!!  First of all, we again are seeing that the STA-MCA surgery increases bloodfloow, which is the point of the surgery.

Next we see that it is possible that the NEW increased blood flow could cause new issues / bleeding / neurologic deterioration.

I think most of us realize surgery is always going to have some dangers involved, personally what I am taking out of this is that they need to be using the LDF (Laser Doppler Flow) to measure the new bloodflow for at LEAST FIVE days after your surgery!!

You will note in that link, article, the days with the greatest risk of hyperperfusion was DAY 1 and then again on DAY 5!!!

NOW here is the scary part... if you read that article again, you will note they ONLY measured this from Day 1 to Day 5, and consistently on Day 5 we are back to the 2nd highest level!!?  There was a decrease from Day 1 to 4, and then back up on Day 5.

Personally I would want to know, what about Days 6-10?  If the point of the study is to watch out for this hyperperfusion, and I saw a spike at the END of my survey, I would want to extend my survey to make sure there is not an ongoing issue due to the surgery??

Now, I am sure folks, who are in the 100% PRO surgery, 100% of the time, camp, will attack me here for posting this or the fact that the Day 5 result is a bit scary??  So as always, I want to conclude, surgery is TO increase bloodflow and if your bloodflow is low enough that the doctor wants you to have surgery, I would have it!!!

Unfort those folks tend to gloss over or ignore the fact that this is pretty radical stuff and that folks are scared and just want to know their love one is going to be ok.  As always, I suggest reading and learning EVERYTHING you can find!!

Every couple of months, I go out to the STROKE journal and see what else has been written.  I have a pretty intresting story I am going to link next that shows there is a link between thryoid issues and MMD!

No comments: